Environmental Management System

Since our beginnings, Ferromex has taken on the challenge of reducing the environmental impacts of our services. In 2013, as part of this commitment, we invested nearly US$3.0 million in environmental actions, 65% of which was allocated to actions to prevent, mitigate, and remediate spills, and also foresting projects and projects to rescue the local wildlife. The other 35% was invested in water treatment and waste management. With actions such as these, we continue our efforts to become one of the modes of transportation with the least impact on the environment.
An essential part of our management model is achieving Environmental Quality certification for our shops each year. The following units are currently certified in Environmental Quality:

  • Shop and Fueling Zone, Tierra Blanca, Veracruz (PROFEPA)
  • Shop and Fueling Zone, Veracruz, Veracruz (PROFEPA)
  • Shop in Apizaco, Tlaxcala (PROFEPA)
  • Railcar Shop in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz (PROFEPA)
  • Shop and Fueling Zone, Orizaba, Veracruz (PROFEPA)
  • Fueling Zone, Puebla, Puebla (PROFEPA)
  • Locomotive Shop, Xalapa, Veracruz (PROFEPA)

In addition, the Department of the Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT), together with the United Nations Development Program (UNPD) awarded us “Environmentally Adequate Handling and Disposal of Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) in Mexico” recognition, for our commitment and active participation in the detection and elimination of these substances. The recognition was given during the “Final forum on PCB training”.

« Social Responsibility